Its that time of year for getting out and enjoying the Amarillo area, summer is in fully swing and here is a short list of things to do this summer in Amarillo!
1) Go for a bike ride or hike in Palo Duro State Park!
There are over 20 miles of great single track trails in the beautiful Canyon.
2) Visit the Canyon TX 4th of July Parade and Fair on the Square.
(July 3rd 8am-12noon)
This is a great family event filled with many activities, booths and food around the historic square in Canyon including the big parade
3) Grab a burger, beer and live music at the Golden Light Cantina.
This little historic 6th Street Cafe and Bar is the place where bands like Cooder Graw and Cross Canadian Ragweed got their start. You can find weekly live music from great artists there!
4) Visit the Amarillo Botanical Gardens and Don Harrington Discovery Center.
Both these attractions are within walking distance from each other, start with a tour of the natural ecological system of the Panhandle and then go see all the cool and interesting gadgets, science experiments, and interactive displays at the Discovery Center.
5) Go watch a Amarillo Dillas ballgame.
Nothing like a evening at the ballpark, take family and friends and have a good time watching America's Favorite Pastime!
6) Play a round of Golf on the Wildhorse Course at the Ross Rogers golf Complex
Voted one of the best public course in the State of Texas, for $21 Green fee it is worth the money!
7) Go to the Center City Block Party.
Lots of People, Live Music, Food and Drinks all downtown!
August 21st 8pm - Midnight
8) Visit the Panhandle Plains Historic Museum
This museum is full of rich Panhandle history, see anything from the wild west days, early oil explorations, West Texas A&M history and many other exhibits
9) Spray Paint your name on a car at the Cadillac Ranch.
Nationally known Cadillac Ranch is a big point of interest for tourists going through Amarillo, however it's not just for the out of towner's....so even if your local, take a can of spray paint with you and make your mark!
10) Wrap up summer at the Amarillo Chamber of Commerce Good Times BBQ Cook-off!
Hundreds of teams facing off in a good old fashioned BBQ cook-off and you get to try it all!
September 9th, 5-8PM
And there is my recommendation for 10 things to do in Amarillo this summer! Hope you have a safe, fun and memorable summer with your family and friends!
Dirk van Reenen